Thursday, May 3, 2012

Long time - LONG post

I have not been on here in awhile.   In fact this is only my second post for the year.   That is awful.   What a waste of the perfectly good blog.  I have read alot of other blogs and kept up on most.   I just don't post very often.   I seem to spend more time on facebook and backyardchickens.com.

A little catching up about me.   I got sick again with the same respiratory crap.   Got better, then almost got sick again when I went to a poultry show the beginning of March.   I spent too much time in the show hall around all that dust/dander set my lungs on FIRE.   As soon as I got home I took a hot shower.   That made the coughing more intense, but I think that is what finally got it out.   I took another hot shower that evening and streamed out the lungs again.   I was coughing up some nasty stuff, but within a week the cough was gone and I have been fine since.   I normally get sick once every 2-3 years with the flu, but this past winter about killed me.   Started with food poisoning or the stomach flu the beginning of September, a head cold/sinus infection the beginning of november, that almost cleared up then migrated to my lungs.   That kept me coughing and in a cycle of sickness in one way or another until mid MARCH.   Winter SUCKED.

On to the birds.   Lost some gals to old age, my Standard Cochin rooster had a heartache, lost a couple to parasites,  and 3 to a neighbor's dog.   I had to deal with the dog when the neighbor wouldn't.   I hate to hurt any animal, but will if I have too.  The parasites are bad this year.   With the lack of a real winter, the ground didn't get "cleaned" out like it should have.   That means worms and cocci are still in abundance.   There is also some sort of mite that keeps getting on the birds too.   It is easily killed, but then comes right back.   This coming weekend I am spraying the houses down completely with permethrin II.   I am tired of this crap and I know the birds that get infested are tired of them too.

I bought some day old chicks from ShookPoultry 3 weeks ago.   I had planned to give them to 'Mama Daisy' to raise, but she broke from her broodiness 2 days before.   Luckily 'Rescue' was broody too.  The problem is that 'Rescue' had only been here a few months, was only 8 months old, and had never been a mother.   I had no idea if she would adopt chicks she did not hatch.   Some hens will, some won't.   I know Daisy would have if she were still broody.   Either 'Rescue' was going to adopt them or I was going to have to raised the new chicks.   When I got home with my new chicks, I decided to give her a try.   Mom could reach her better, so she put 2 chicks under 'Rescue' and we waited.   A broody grawls, but a broody switching to mother mode clucks.   After a few seconds we heard a very soft cluck.   A few more seconds and another cluck.   That is a good sign.   Added 2 more chicks and waited.   This time she was definately clucking.   A chick popped out from under her and was a couple inches in front of 'Rescue'.   Truth time.   'Rescue' raised her self up off the nest slowly, stared, and then started clucking for the chick to get back in.   The chick ran towards her and dissappeared into feathers.   YYEEESSSSS!!!  'Rescue' lowered herself back down, gently shuffled a little, and settled into a gentle rythmic cluck.   I started handing Mom chicks and she gave all 9 to 'Rescue'. This was 5 days after.
She has been a great mother and very protective of her family.   We gave her 6 Gold Comets and 3 Easter Eggers.   All are sexed girls.   The problem is that 2 weeks old there were suddenly 10 babies!?!?!   I am very OCD about numbers and know for a fact that we gave her 9 chicks, not 10.   I counted 3 times when I first got the chicks out for her.   There were 9, exactly what I ordered.   I have a theory.   Somehow one of the Red Comets ate too much and split in two.   They have been little pigs and this makes complete sense.   SHUT_UP!!!   THIS MAKES COMPLETE SENSE!!!   LOL

I guess that is enough for now.   I will try to post regularly.   I will shoot for weekly.

~~Matt~~

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha.
    Rescue looks very happy with herself. :o)
    Perhaps you missed an egg...

    Good to hear from you, Matt. Glad to hear you're well, too.
    Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet story about 'Rescue' hen... so good she took the chicks as her own :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. But there's only 9 in the photo! Where's #10????

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda there were no eggs. I gave her chicks from a box that I counted 3 times.

    Number 10 didn't show up till they were almost 2 weeks old. I ain't kidding about that. One day there were 9 and 10 the next. No chance someone sneeked in and gave her an extra. For one thing the extra is a red comet like the rest. Then they would have had to go through the yard past Raymond(biting dog) and Dixie(barking dog).

    I haven't took any pics since day 5. At 3 weeks old they are getting adventurous, at least till 'rescue' calls them back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, then that is just weird!!! Is the extra gonna be a hen? Maybe it'll be a roo? Maybe you were meant to have that one bird. That one bird is the future of your farm, only now it's just a little baby. Quite interesting, that's for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mystery chick! Great hen/chick tale... I have always wanted to try to slip some chicks under a broody hen... good to learn about the hen clucking. Thanks for the story and photos. Great to know you are well again. Take care!

    ReplyDelete